Sunday 10 February 2013

This little light...



Something very sad happened in my town this week. Someone took their own life. A guy in his forties, always seen going about his business with a white German Shepherd dog in his company. Known to everyone, yet actually really known to a very few.

This person worked in the local supermarket and I would go to his checkout when I could, he was quite sparkly and always had a smile and a friendly word. But only on the outside it would now seem...

We can all get angry with God about the very sad, unquantifiable amount of injustice and pain in the world.

But my first thought was not of anger but more that if only I had known that man was suffering so, so much - I could have... I could have what? Not 'talk' to him. He did not know me. I did not really know him. But I do know a lot of other people. We cannot be responsible for everyone in the world, but we can take responsiblity for some.

Take the light that you have within you, the light that I believe comes from God, and breathe it into the world around you. See people, really see them - and the ones that you care for, do something to make their world a better place. Even it is a tiny gesture that requires a ridiculous amount of effort.

If you see someone heading to, or residing in that dark place, then do not give up, do not let the darkness win.

The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.

From John 10:10


No comments:

Post a Comment