Tuesday 16 April 2013

Labour Pains


I recently went through labour and childbirth (again). I shall not regale you with details but it hurts. A lot. And then some. And possibly some more again. However, the result is incredible. A gorgeous family.

What this experience also does for me is to realise that I came into this world the same way. In a burst of agony and persistence.

Those of us fortunate to live in a society with excellent medical care means that child birth related fatalities are far, far less than they once were.

Months after I had my first baby, someone I know was due to visit from their native home in Uganda. However, they were delayed as their sister in law had died during child birth. That woman had the same medical issues as I had during my time in labour. There but for the grace of God go I.


"You have to live on 24 hours of daily time. Out of it you have to spin health, pleasure, money, content, respect and the evolution of your immortal soul. It's right use, it's most effective use, is a matter of the highest urgency... do not squander time for time is the stuff that life is made of".
The Daily Miracle, Arnold Bennet. 19th Century Novelist.


Someone in my family lives by the motto "you're a long time dead'. As a driving thought it is up there with "life isn't a dress rehearsal". I don't think Christians like these saying very much, and there are plenty of words from the Bible to reinforce the whole foundation of the principle of eternity.

I like these sayings though, and while you might believe you have eternal life once saved by Jesus Christ (all you have to do is ask *insert prompt*), the ideology is also clear that this isn't the path for everyone. For more details see the Parable of the Sower for example (Matthew 13 Jesus geeks).

The reason I subscribe to this life not being a dress rehearsal, and us being out of this world a lot longer that we are in it, is that this is an amazing, incredible, impressive existence!

The world we live in, from a simple yet unique sunset, to the most complex and baffling of scientific studies - there can be beauty right from a cellular level, up to a complete panorama of scenic drama.

What a waste to never make the most of this most incredible experience, and to never contemplate that it may indeed continue for eternity.


image (c) weheartit.com

No comments:

Post a Comment