Thursday 18 October 2012

When the going gets tough the tough get... joyful?

Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters,whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.

Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. 

If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind.  That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do.

I have had plenty of trials, and have demonstrated plenty of perseverence. As I don't feel particularly mature and complete I can only assume those trails and perseverence days aren't over yet. If I'm honest, when the burnt out washing machine spewed its festering watery guts up over the kitchen floor I wasn't filled with joy. When people in church discourages me (again) I am not filled with joy. When I watched someone I loved and adored dying from cancer there was no joy.

But what James (the one wrote those words) is saying is that the joy comes when you realise your strength. James had quite a famous brother. Someone who toured, drawing crowds, inviting attention. Then later persecution. Then execution. James will have known trials and difficulties.

I don't know anyone who became wise by having a great time. Wisdom seems to come from a place where tears are shed, dark places that require perseverence. Asking God for wisdom might be inviting a challenge. Don't go into that challenge expecting an easy ride. Expect more of a rollercoaster. And remember that the wisdom or joy does not come in the moment of difficulty, it comes from holding on tight, to God. Firmly, tightly - like you hold on to that safety bar on the rollercoaster. Only afterward - after you felt God steadying you, can you feel stronger and reflect on how you didn't cave in during a tought time. That is faith. Not a hands in the air, Sunday morning, type of faith - but a real, raw, grisly faith. And somewhere in there is a joy. I hope you find it.

For the Jesus geeks, the verses are from the first chapter of James.

No comments:

Post a Comment