Sunday 9 September 2012

Every generation stands on the past

So why 'Standing on the Shoulders of Giants'? Well...

Every generation stands on the past. People who stood up for what they believe in. Or didn't.

If we decide to go forward it is much easier to find a path already well trod (trod is an odd word, does anyone actually use it anymore? Apart from me.)

When we look at old people we see slowness, the ageing process, sometimes a burden on society. What we do not see is their youth. Their desire to change the world. To fight for something. To believe in something. To face persecution. Or just social ridicule. Or we might see someone who chose to fight for nothing. To change nothing, to watch the world go by and stand aside spectator style.

If looking back we are standing on the shoulder of others, looking forward who will stand on ours? And what will you have fought for, changed, believed in, made a stand against? Something or nothing?

The hymn Amazing Grace was written by English poet and clergyman John Newton (1725–1807) and published in 1779. Google him and be inspired.

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me.
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures.

Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment